What to do, what to do…?
Sometimes we get stuck in a rut with our little ones–especially if you happen to be a stay-at-home-mom– but taking baby to a gym class or swim lessons isn’t necessarily an easy or available option. And for those on a tight budget, it can be hard to find affordable activities. Here’s a quick list of outings that won’t break the bank (often no cost at all!) and will entertain your tiny tot on even their worst days:
- The park – a simple, easily accessible place to hang with baby. There are typically more than one in each neighborhood, so change it up. Bring a picnic lunch, bubbles, books, toys, a kite, hula hoop, ball…you get the idea. Even young babies will enjoy watching others play on the playground. If baby gets fussy, stroll him/her in the stroller in the park describing trees, flowers, birds, etc.
- Pet shops – My Ladybug LOVES animals! This is a great escape on a hot day. Head indoors where it was nice and cool, and peruse the store looking at all the critters. Watch their eyes fill with wonder and curiosity as you explain what they are seeing. Best part is, it’s FREE!
- Street fairs or farmer’s markets – Strolling the market, outdoors on a nice day makes for a great outing. The kiddos have plenty to see and hear, and it’s an opportunity for mom to describe fruits, vegetables, flowers and so forth. Plus, you can get some shopping done…SCORE!
- Library or book stores – Check with your local library or book store for children and family events–another free, indoor option! Plus, mom can check out or purchase a great new book for the summer.
- The Mall – Stroll or walk the mall for a while with baby. There are public restrooms, air conditioning, and it’s FREE…unless, of course, mommy finds new duds.
- The beach, lake (or someone’s pool) – Grease baby up with some good sunscreen and head to the water! Pack towels, a comfy large blanket or towel to sit on, any type of shade or umbrella, water toys, and some snacks. Dip your little one’s toes in the water and encourage baby to splash!
What are some other fun and affordable baby outing ideas ? We’d love to hear from you!